On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:03:27 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:53:10 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann

<volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
>> Particularly when your wm can handle all the inter-app
>> communication that is necessary without dbus.
>
> the problem is the WM can NOT handle all the inter-app communication
> that is
> needed by a modern desktop environment. Especially, when you have apps
> that
> are just frames around building blocks that have to talk to each other
> (like
> for example konqueror, that is just a gui to the dolphin, khtml, konsole,
> gwenview kparts).

But it seems to me, that the apps that need the communication are in DE's. Which is fine, I just think that if you're choosing a smaller WM (Openbox,
awesome, JWM, etc.), where there isn't a need for an inter-app
communication that extensive, then it's a bit of an overkill really.

so how do you propose that a network connection manager tells a broweser or
mail app that they are offline?

And don't start with sockets. That will result in a nightmare. dbus is a clean solution to a huge problem. Apps have to talk to each other. The only way to
keep it sane is a standardized IPC daemon like dbus.

Well how about something with sockets ;)

Personally, I don't see a big problem in a network connection manager not being able to tell various apps that they don't have a connection to the internet. If you're offline often you will know it, and if not you have something to look into.

But honestly, I don't have a solution to the problem, what I can however say is that my browser and my mail app, are pretty deft at realizing that their attempts to access a server, are in vain, without any network manager to tell them that they're offline. If there is any inter-app communication going on, it's not anything I know enough about to give a qualified guess about.

--
Zeerak