On Thursday 18 February 2010 15:53:15 Harry Putnam wrote:
> Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> writes:
> > On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:05:12 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> >> never tried smugmug and don't know what your requirements are, but I
> >> push JAlbum.  You can create some pretty good looking albums and run
> >> them from CD / HD / webserver (I especially like the fact that you don't
> >> need a webserver).  It can synchronise to your website.  There are a
> >> plethora of options and free + commercial skins, plus plug-ins to let
> >> you sell them online.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately it's just the generation tool, you have to find your own
> >> hosting.
> >
> > If you want to host it yourself, there's Gallery. It too has plenty of
> > options and can take a little tweaking to get it just as you want.
>
> Neil, do you know off hand if gallery offers user/viewer the ability
> to download original (full res) images?  Or does it generate the php
> versions but leave the originals out of what is viewed?

I use Gallery myself for my picture collection and this can be configured
easily.
As in, you can allow users access to all versions or just the 'resized'
versions.
This can be done through groups or specific users.

I usually only allow people to access the resized versions. It does support
resizing on-the-fly, but only to the sizes you actually configured for that
particular photo/album/...

the on-the-fly bit is only done if the requested size doesn't exist yet, eg.
it will only do it once (unless you clear the derivatives folder ;) )

--
Joost