On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:49:47AM -0500, James Homuth wrote:
> I performed a bit of an update on my laptop a day or two ago, and after
> reboot, I lost the ability to do anything with /dev/hda*. I currently have 0
> swap space, and according to stat, ls etc, they don't exist. But, booting to
> an install CD I burned for diagnostic purposes, it sees them just fine.
> Also, and this is the strange part. It boots no problem, so the OS is able
> to mount at least /dev/hda3, even though from the command line I'm not
> seeing it. I'm probably missing something completely dead obvious (it's
> after midnight here and all), and Google's turning up nothing, so if someone
> could kindly slap me in the face with it, that'd be appreciated. Thanks
> either way for whatever help comes my way.

Hi,
  I just had to restart my computer (power issues :( ) in the middle of
an update (well, it was more like 'just before the end';) and after
restart I have the same problem as you, no /dev/sd[ab]* files...

My first guess was that I rebooted without updating the config files, so
I ran etc-update (there were some udev config files as well as init
script) and rebooted, but that didn't help.

It is certainly not a problem with drivers not being in kernel, as the
kernel sees the disks and partitions (see below), so I just run

tail  -n +3 /proc/partitions | while read maj min size name  ; do  mknod
/dev/$name b $maj $min ;  done
/etc/init.d/localmount pause; /etc/init.d/localmount start

to get everything mounted again...

That means it will have to be an  udev (or even openrc) problem.
The last update of udev did in fact say this:

 * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
 *   CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED:    should not be set. But it is.
 *   CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2:         should not be set. But it is.
 *   CONFIG_IDE:         should not be set. But it is.
 * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
 * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
 *
 * udev-151 does not support Linux kernel before version 2.6.25!
 * For a reliable udev, use at least kernel 2.6.27

 * Your kernel version (2.6.28-gentoo-r2) is new enough to run udev-151
reliably.

I didn't want to mess with the kernel right now, but I gues that's the
first thing to try...
I'll report when I rebuild & reboot...

yoyo

===================
Kernel can see the partitions just fine:

julka dev # cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   7        0     512000 loop0
   8        0  199148544 sda
   8        1   18940603 sda1
   8        2   32218357 sda2
   8        3    2152710 sda3
   8        4          1 sda4
   8        5  145830006 sda5
   8       16  312571224 sdb
   8       17  312568641 sdb1
julka dev # ls /sys/block/
hda/   loop1/ loop3/ loop5/ loop7/ ram1/  ram11/ ram13/ ram15/ ram3/  ram5/
ram7/  ram9/  sdb/
loop0/ loop2/ loop4/ loop6/ ram0/  ram10/ ram12/ ram14/ ram2/  ram4/  ram6/
ram8/  sda/
julka dev # ls /sys/block/sd*
/sys/block/sda:
bdi         dev     ext_range  power  range      ro    sda2  sda4  size    stat
      uevent
capability  device  holders    queue  removable  sda1  sda3  sda5  slaves
subsystem

/sys/block/sdb:
bdi  capability  dev  device  ext_range  holders  power  queue  range
removable  ro  sdb1  size  slaves  stat  subsystem  uevent

--
      _

YoYo () Siska
http://www.ksp.sk/