100226 bn wrote:
> I have a stable x86 system that requires still a bit of updating,
> among those libtool and gcc. Since I need the system to be usable *now*
> for work reasons, I don't feel like updating gcc and rebuilding it all
> with an emerge -e system / emerge -e world,
> but more and more packages want to upgrade to libtool 2.x
> Is it safe to upgrade libtool without (1)rebuilding gcc too
> and (2)rebuilding system/world?

FWIW I've been using Libtool 2.2.6b since 091212
& GCC 4.3.4 since 091018 without any problems I can remember;
I kept GCC 4.1.2 installed as well & use 'quickpkg' to make back-ups.
You shouldn't need to rebuild anything else till it comes up naturally.
I never do 'emerge world' without '-Dup', but emerge pkgs individually.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca