I've run into something here on an OS that was installed from scratch
only a week or so ago.

emerge -vuDNp world shows only 8 pkgs (on a todays sync).

But none of them will install even with --skipfirst and --keep-going

All fail when aclocal is trotted out.  I don't see recent threads here
about it... googling turns up a herd of bugs involving aclocal but
then newest is 2008.

The newest threads here that even mention aclocal date around Jan 20.

I didn't change the compiler (gcc-4.3.4) since the first sync and
update world.

gcc-4.4.3 is also installed but I'm using 4.3.4

Today I ran:

 emerge -v sys-devel/automake-wrapper (the package that has aclocal in
                                      it)

Ran:
  lafilefixer --justfixit

Reinstalled libtool

But still everything fails when aclocal gets called.

I tried switching to the newer compiler gcc-4.3.4... then tried to
repeat the steps above... but can't seem to get past aclocal.

I tried backup up to the next lower available version of
automake-wrapper:
   automake-wrapper-3-r1

But of course aclocal fails.