On Tuesday 02 March 2010 00:04:08 Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    I've been trying to get an nvidia controller working today and not
> having much luck. It's complaining about failing to load kernel
> module.
>
>    As a starting point I'm following this guide:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml
>
>    My nvidia device is (I think) a GeForce 6 family card:
>
> dragonfly ~ # lspci | grep VGA
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce
> 6200] (rev a1)
> dragonfly ~ #
>
> and from this nVidia page seems to be supported by the 173.xx series
> drivers:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_173.14.25.html
>
>    Because modinfo nvidia suggested it depended on them I've added
> agpgart and i2c-core to modules.autoload and after booting this is
> what's loaded:
>
> dragonfly ~ # lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> ipv6                  176929  18
> sg                     19077  0
> usb_storage            29021  0
> usbhid                 18281  0
> snd_intel8x0           19155  0
> snd_ac97_codec         76628  1 snd_intel8x0
> ac97_bus                 662  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_pcm                42338  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
> ehci_hcd               27089  0
> uhci_hcd               15779  0
> snd_timer              11966  1 snd_pcm
> usbcore                87247  4 usb_storage,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
> agpgart                19136  0
> snd                    31592  4
> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer 8139cp                 12993
>  0
> soundcore               3607  1 snd
> rtc                     6022  0
> 8139too                14560  0
> i2c_core               11618  0
> snd_page_alloc          4685  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
> processor              20861  0
> thermal                 9266  0
> button                  3526  0
> thermal_sys             8333  2 processor,thermal
> dragonfly ~ #
>
> When I try to load the nvidia driver it just complains:
>
> dragonfly ~ # modprobe nvidia
> FATAL: Error inserting nvidia
> (/lib/modules/2.6.33-gentoo/video/nvidia.ko): No such device

The nvidia driver in not bundled with the kernel, it is an external third-
party module.

You need to set /usr/src/linux to point to the kernel(s) you intend to run,
and emerge nvidia-drivers for each one. Then modprobe -r nvidia ; modprobe
nvidia and restart X

module-rebuild is a great tool for this. It knows what out-of-tree modules you
use and the ebuilds that install them, and remembers the list (because the
time will come when you forget and pull your hair out before you remember)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com