Alan McKinnon writes:

> On Wednesday 03 March 2010 14:21:23 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > That's right, they should both be in /var.
>
> I concur. /usr has a long tradition is Unix of often being mounted
> read-only (think thin clients that mount it over NFS).

Any idea why it's different with Gentoo in the first place? /usr also
always sounded wrong to me for the portage tree.
And for other things. Shouldn't /usr/src go somewhere into /var? And
shouldn't /usr/share/config stuff be in /etc?

> My set up is:
>
> portage:      /var/portage/
> my overlay:   /var/portage/local/alan/
> layman:               /var/portage/local/layman/*
>
> As portage is hard-coded to not fiddle with $PORTDIR/local/, this works
> well for me and every ebuild on the system is under one mount point.

Where do you have the distfiles? I now have it like this:

/var/portage:        distfiles, pkgdir and tree
/var/portage/tree:   portage tree (on extra partition)
/var/portage/layman: layman
/var/portage/local:  my ebuilds

        Wonko