Argh, sorry for the previous posts. I had some sort of Ctrl-lock, that is,
the keyboard acted as if Ctrl was pressed all the time. Now I know that
Ctrl+Enter is a shortcut to send an email. I accidentally closed some
shells by pressing the D key.

I was able to get rid off it by switching to a text console with Alt-F1
(the additional Ctrl key was also not needed) and back.

Alex Schuster writes:

> The next test gives 93 seconds, that's nice.

What is not so nice is that emerge -a --depclean took over half an hour of
CPU time, needing half a gigabyte of memory. WOW.

        Wonko