On 03/10/2010 10:16 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
On 2010-03-10 12:05 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
equery can be unreliable. If emerge --depclean -a wants to remove one
of both of them, let it, otherwise leave well alone.

Understood, thanks...

Just to be sure... the -a in the 'emerge --depclean -a' above will 'ask'
me if I want to continue and remove the packages it finds, correct?
Meaning, it won't just blindly go ahead and start ripping stuff out...

How does that differ from 'emerge -p --depclean'?

"emerge -p" will only print what it would merge/unmerge and then quits without asking. You can run this as normal user, no need to be root.

"emerge -a" will print what it would merge/unmerge and then ask if you want to proceed. You have to be root to use this command.

If you are not root and use "emerge -a", portage will turn it into an "emerge -p" and tell you that it did so because you are not root.