Dale writes:

> Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Dale, you brave, brave man, are you really using KDE4 now?

> I am in KDE4.  I still have KDE3 installed tho.  Thing is, I'm still
> using the same programs I was in KDE3.  Dolphin looks nice and all but
> I can't use it as root at all.

Huh? No problem here.

OT: does anyone know about dolphin somehow accessing all files it shows? I
see this on a system that uses dolphin to browse remote files via the fish
protocol. Previews are not enabled, but all the files are accessed, which
means it takes about one hour until the directory is shown, because all
files are being retrieved from a SAM-FS server. Maybe it is reading the
magic number for each file? I will try konqueror now.

> So, I went back to Konqueror to edit
> config files and such.  I don't use some of the programs that you are
> using so I don't have the same issues.  I use smplayer to do movies or
> CDs.  It doesn't care what DE you use.

Ah, smplayer. Did not think about that. It was not important anyway - I
had ripped a CD with K3b, and wondered why two tracks were swapped. BTW,
what do you use for ripping? K3b is okay, but it does not remember changes
like output path or file naming, I have to set this again for every CD.
But smplayer does not recognise the CD either. I wonder why I do not have
a /dev/cdrom device - only /dev/cdrom3, /dev/cdrw3, /dev/dvd3 and
/dev/dvdrw3, all symlinking to /dev/sr0.

> I do like the looks of KDE4.  I still think they dropped KDE3 to soon.
> KDE4 will get there but it is still having issues many months after
> dropping KDE3.  Bad thing is, I don't think they care about the users
> they left hanging in the wind.

I also think KDE3 was dropped too soon. While KDE4 is usable now for most
things, it still has too many bugs, and a while ago it had many many more,
while development and bug fixing of KDE3 was already stopped.
On the other hand, manpower is limited, and I understand the decision to
focus on the new project rather than doing stuff for the old one that soon
noone will be using. KDE 3.5 is still there. I don't know about the
security issues, would it be unsafe now to use KDE 3.5? I remember
something about kpfd being masked due to security holes.

        Wonko