On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:15:24 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > With a remote machine, I always restart SSH, leave the current shell
> > open and open a new one from another terminal. The old session will
> > continue to work when you shut down sshd, so if the new install is
> > somehow broken,
>
>                    ^^^^^^^^^
>
> restart

A restart is just a showdown followed by a start. I wrote shut down
because even if the restart fails and you have no sshd running, your
existing ssh session will continue to work while you fix the breakage.

> Some noobs might get confused ;-)

noobs shouldn't be administering Gentoo boxes remotely :P

--
Neil Bothwick

The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.