On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 02:05:12PM +0100, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
> > I don't see any need for excuses, it sounds like fine common English to
> > me, with the possible exception of a run-on "if".
> >
> > The full sentence was "I usually always look to see if Dale has been
> > involved in a thread if HAL is mentioned"
> Ah it's just using two different words that describe seeing something :-)
> I like to think that my english is a little better. I mean it should have
> been "see if" or "look to see whether" (as far as I remember anyway :-))

Huh, the "look to see" part, while inelegant and repetitive, is a common
colloquialism, and I don't think was the problem. I was more thrown
off by "usually always", which is either an oxymoron (if you take a
strict view of the word "usually") or redundant (if you take "usually"
to contain "always" as a subset). </pedant>

(Looks like I only have off-topic contributions to this thread.)

Willie W. Wong                                     ww...@math.princeton.edu
         et vice versa   ~~~  I. Newton