Dear David--

On the issue of uncertainties, indeed they exist, but their importance
really depends on the question being asked--on the largest questions, things
are quite clear; on the smallest scales, departures from the large-scale
averages remain somewhat uncertain. [The recent paper by David Rind (The
Consequences of Not Knowing Low- and High-Latitude Climate
Sensitivity--Bulletin of the AMS) should also be thought of as an
augmentation to the IPCC section you mention.]

On testing models, I assume you are aware of the Climate Prediction project
that has been running a good GCM many times with variations of its key
adjustable parameters (see http://www.climateprediction.net/). Again, the
large-picture is very convincing--the finer scale not so much.

I would just relate one story about uncertainties from an event in about
October 1997 (so just before Kyoto meeting). Pat Michaels and I appeared
before the Virginia Coal Council to present our views of the science (me
presenting IPCC and Pat offering a critique). Indeed, there were differences
in the projections of future warming ranging from maybe 1-5 C by the end of
the 21st century. Several of the next speakers spoke about the likely cost
of reducing emissions, and the industry economist view was something like
$200 a ton whereas the CEO of a utility company said they were sequestering
carbon in reforestation projects in South America at $5 a ton. I think these
results made clear that it is uncertainties in other parts of the problem
that are larger and matter most. The best comment on uncertainties, however,
was by the head of the coal miners union, whose comment was that all these
uncertainties don't matter a whit--what matters is what the Administration
believes (clearly, he understands politics). Indeed--on this issue, I agree
that the key issue is not the details of the numbers, but whether we are
going to commit to make the change away from GHG-releasing energy
technologies. We've now waited so long (recall, the first report to the US
President on this was in 1965) to do much that we need to do a lot quite
rapidly--and in figuring out that path, the numbers all seem to point to
using a whole portfolio of approaches if we are to get where we need to be,
and even then we might well benefit from some (even some significant)
geoengineering.

Mike