There have been suggestions about putting dust or solar absorbing material
in orbit in the past (I think they were covered in the 1992 NAS report, for
example). The idea actually goes back at least to Hoyle (1957) and was
expanded on by Kahle and Deirmendjian (1973) of Rand Corporation. The basic
problem, however, is that particles get moved around by the solar wind and
it is very hard to keep them in orbit for long.

Mike

Refs:

Hoyle, F., 1957: The Black Cloud, Harper and Brothers, New York.

Kahle, A. B., and D. Deirmendjian, 1973: The black cloud experiment, Rand
Corporation report R-1263-ARPA, Santa Monica CA.