Ken makes some very good points. I would just add that understanding about
geoengineering is spreading, and needs to continue to be nurtured with more
research building even greater understanding of what might and might not be
done, and what it will mean. That geoengineering is getting into
international thinking is its mention in the World Bank¹s World Development
Report (see http://blogs.worldbank.org/climatechange/team/michael-maccracken
for a posting about its consideration‹where you can also find a pointer to
the main report) and in the recent UNEP report on the state of the world
(see report mentioned at upper right at http://www.unep.org/climatechange/).

Mike