Re: [geo] Re: Rejected - a simple argument for SRM geoengineering  AND did you
get that right?From Lenton and Vaughn (2009):

"First we consider the calculation of effects on atmospheric
CO2 (deltaCatm) over time. Adding CO2 to the atmosphere or

removing CO2 from the atmosphere triggers responses from

the ocean and land reservoirs that are continuously exchanging

CO2 with the atmosphere. The result is that any perturbation

to atmospheric CO2, whether an increase or a decrease,

decays over time towards around 20% of its original size on

a millennial timescale. The fraction of the original perturbation

remaining after a given time, deltat (in years), is called the

airborne fraction, f (deltat). It is a complex function containing

multiple decay timescales, related to multiple land and ocean

carbon reservoirs. For relatively small perturbations, it can

be approximated, from the Bern carbon cycle model (Joos et

al., 1996) by:

f (deltat)=0.18+0.14e-deltat/420+0.18e-deltat/70

+0.24e-deltat/21+0.26e-deltat/3.4 (15)

According to this formula, for an instantaneous removal

of carbon from (or release to) the atmosphere, 92% is still removed

(or present) after 1 year, 64% after 10 years, 34% after

100 years, and 19% after 1000 years. This is a little confusing

when compared with observations over 1960-2007 that

the increase in atmospheric CO2 in a given year was only

~50% of the total emissions that year. The discrepancy can

be explained by the fact that in any given year, the natural

land and ocean carbon sinks represent an integrated response

to all previous years of emissions."

So as noted in my draft presentation from a week ago, CO2 emitted today has a
variable lifetime and this must be considered in assigning which CO2 is removed
from the atmosphere and by what process.  Considering CO2 emitted this year,
one can think of it as somewhat like a warehouse where all of the inventory
arrives at the same time, but is sold and leaves the warehouse at different
rates, the last 20% taking more than 1000 years.   And it's not Copenhagen,
it's Copouthaven.