Dear Andrew‹I recently heard a presentation by Sean Gallagher, a
photojournalist on China¹s programs to reverse desertification in China. He
did not mention all the various approaches in the article you mention, but
they have, for example, actually built a city that is trying to help reverse
the trend. You can see his material at
http://pulitzercenter.org/openitemdropcol.cfm?id=1583

Best, Mike MacCracken