Forwarded by Mike MacCracken

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Andrew Revkin
> Subject: please pass this around. seeking out-of-box input on the oil well
> leak as realtime 'grand engineering challenge'
>

> Please pass this around and/or reply or post a comment. Particularly
> interested in folks familiar with hydraulics/geology/engineering nexus.
>
> For those in engineering and science community considering "grand challenges,"
> there's one out there in realtime right now: the damaged well. Conventional
> approach will take months.
>
> I just posted this callout for Feynman-style ideas:
>
> http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/01/a-dumb-question-about-stanching-d
> eep-oil/

See below.

******************************
http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/01/a-dumb-question-about-stanching
-deep-oil/

May 1, 2010, 10:33 AM
A Dumb Question About Stanching Deep Oil
By ANDREW C. REVKIN
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/author/andrew-c-revkin/>
 <http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/05/01/us/01engineering_graphic.html
?ref=us> Three efforts to stop the flow of oil.
I¹ve been catching up on my reading on deep-ocean drilling in trying to
assess efforts to stanch what could be a months-long flow of oil from the
pinprick in the Gulf of Mexico seafloor. The Economist has a superb history
of deep-sea drilling
<http://www.economist.com/science-technology/technology-quarterly/displaysto
ry.cfm?story_id=15582301>  (written before the drilling disaster) and Henry
Fountain has written an excellent overview of  the work aimed at capping the
well <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/01/us/01engineering.html>  that was
uncorked by the destruction of the Deepwater Horizon
<http://www.deepwater.com/fw/main/Deepwater-Horizon-56C17.html?LayoutID=17>
rig.
One naive, even dumb, question keeps coming to mind.
Is it possible to seal such wells using unconventional means ‹ specifically
controlled explosions? While covering the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks,
I wrote about some pretty exotic uses of explosives
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/03/international/03WEAP.html>  to attack
buried targets. The Pentagon has all manner of powerful, but precise,
munitions at its disposal, not to mention some of the brightest minds on the
planet for gauging challenges involving hydraulics, geology and metallurgy.
Given that President Obama has called on the Pentagon to help, I¹m just
wondering about ways to approach this deep-ocean leak by considering the
basics,  Feynman style
<http://biocurious.com/2008/05/28/the-real-feynman-algorithm> .
There are hundreds of talented oil-industry experts and government overseers
working around the clock on this problem. Still, if the solution is left up
to the industry, presumably it¹ll be hard to avoid a bias toward
conventional efforts aimed at preserving the (sizable) investment in the
well and away from any option that would seal it off but prevent its future
use.
Obviously you¹d want to be sure an explosive solution didn¹t have the
potential to exacerbate the leak. But with months of unabated oil flows
coming, it seems worth asking the question, however naive.

------ End of Forwarded Message