From: "Nathan Currier" <natcurr...@gmail.com>
To: "geoengineering" <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 8:36:17 AM
Subject: [geo] Creating a real resource for geoengineering

Wil's calling the Met office web page blurb on geoengineering a "new
resource" leads me to pose a question - has anyone on this site
discussed the possibility of starting a real online geoengineering
open-source work site? Adapting other Wiki-type software for
the task, it could involve people starting up 'new idea' stubs,
modelers donating time to start some basic modeling, others doing
economic estimates of these ideas to investigate costs, still others
looking into negative impacts and side effects, etc. Over time, it
could develop into a much more organized library than currently exists
elsewhere. No one is doubting the need for real dollars and real hands-
on research, but this kind of organized virtual exploration involving
a large group of people could be a valuable way to get things moving
in the right direction. Things like Branson's Virgin Earth Challenge
seem predicated on an old model of economics guiding intellectual
property and discovery. Perhaps geoengineering needs to come from a
whole new approach. Does anyone in this group know of people who could
help set such a thing up? Ken, or Mike, do you think a small amount of
seed money could be found to help start up such a project?

All the best,

Nathan Currier
280 Ortman Road
Greenwood, VA 22943