Prof. Zeng and list:

1. I concur with your objections. But I have another - which is that neither
the present article or your own recent discussions on this list use the word
"Biochar" - which I think has great promise, and certainly has received as much
public notice as any of the other discussed options. My reason for preferring
Biochar over burial (or combustion, or BECs, etc) are the outyear advantages to
soil productivity after a single application. You are correct that less can go
into the soil with Biochar than with burial. But that advantage is overcome
when one captures (a carbon neutral advantage) the energy in the pyrolysis
gases and when one counts hundreds of years of added sequestration when the
biomass (in charcoal form) is placed in active soil. I do not understand why
Biochar is not part of your (and the Caldeira--Keith) list of comparison
topics.

2. Let's further explore the phrase: "it would take approximately 2.5 acres of
crop land to remove the CO2 emission from just one U.S. resident". I like your
argument some, but think more needs to be said. At
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita]

we see about 20 tons CO2 per US capita per year, so Caldeira-Keith are thinking
about 8 tons CO2 per acre-yr.

Preferring metric and more biomass-oriented units (using factors of 3.67 tons
CO2 per ton C and 2.47 acres per hectare and ignoring a ton/tonne difference)
the 8 ton number turns into .88 tons C/ha-yr. Let's call it 1 ton C/ha-yr,
since I am not sure where land disturbances fit in for Caldeira-Keith. This is
certainly not the best that is being done around the world. In fact it is less
than the world average NPP (60 Gt C/yr) divided by 13+ Gha [or about 4.5
tC/ha-yr}. So maybe Caldeira/Keith are restricting themselves to some sort of
ag waste value. I do not believe we should be limiting ourselves to wastes or
NPP at all when we are talking about bio-sequestration in a serious way. Sugar
cane is sometimes quoted as up to 80 tons/ha-yr (same as 8 kg/m2-yr). I have
seen future world average productivity values above 10 times the Caldeira-Keith
value (as we start applying modern techniques to above average species in above
average locations). I notice below that you also note a factor of ten
discrepancy.

3. But also, let's consider other items in this calculation, such as whether we
should be using 20 tons CO2 per capita per year and its 2.5 acre equivalent.
Clearly the former number must decline a lot if we are serious about
sequestration. There should be nothing magic about 20 tons CO2/capita per year.
A more pertinent number comes from our per capita carbon legacy value and the
time period over which we in the US should be removing that legacy atmospheric
carbon. Suppose we assume for ease that we will shoot for the Caldeira-Keith
target of 1 hectare per capita. Since the US has an area of about 1
gigahectare, and an average future population of 400 million, then we have
available 2.5 hectares per capita - about 250% of the Caldeira-Keith value. If
we can sequester an average of 1 ton carbon per hectare-yr, then (given the US
land total) this is 1 gigaton C/yr. The world total might be ten times higher
(given our roughly 8% US share of available global land). Like you, I don't
know why this should be considered "impractical", as we would then be
sequestering more than we are now emitting.

4. See a few further comments below.

Ron