Dear Tracy,

I reviewed your paper and have a few general and specific comments in
response.

First, I would suggest focusing your analysis more heavily on the
statutory issues and devote fewer words to  common-law causes of
action. In particular, there is a significant amount of activitiy
taking place under the Clean Water Act that warrants discussion.  The
EPA's proposed treatment of CCS under the Clean Water Act -- and how
states are responding to the proposed treatment -- will influence how
any litigation plays out in the future.  The Department of Ecology's
decision in Washington State to treat CO2 as a waste in 2007 is a
particularly illustrative example of how these statutory issues are
likely to shape the parameters of future litigation.

Second, I would suggest combining sections 2 and 3 and then cutting
the length of these combined sections in half.  In my view, they do
not add significant value to the legal analysis and much of the
information they include is likely to be stale in six to 12 months.
The pace of development in this field is the reason they risk becoming
stale soon.

Third, I would suggest expanding the discussion about the political
question doctrine.  As a practical matter, do you really think
geoengineering is likely to be deployed in the absence of "severe
adverse consequences" of abrupt climate change?  I can't see climate
engineering moving forward to the point where it would be ripe as a
legal matter before there is a bonafide crisis.  In these
circumstances, the political question issue is far more likely to
figure front and center.

In any event, I enjoyed the article and look forward to reading future
drafts.  Thanks and hope you're well.

Best regards,
Bill Pentland