List (and Andrew and other ccs)

me the following (in full) with (my presumption) an intent to forward to the
list .

"The ' optical density' to which Andrew Locksley's response refers, ( the term
is scarcely apposite, as half the light is scattered forward) would, in the
case of doubling the water column albedo , reduce the light flux for
photosynthesis by ~ 7%, a small fraction of the attenuation marine biota
experience on cloudy days or when surface reflection of sunlight rises in
consequence of wind-driven whitecaps and the microbubbles they create.

Many organisms react to such natural changes by swimming up and down, and few
have an optimal photosynthetic compensation depth of zero . I suggest he read
the sections of my paper discussing the possible consequences - and the need
for experiments to quantify them .

As to his view " that it may just not work! ", the paper's figures, like the
attached video clip, suggest otherwise. As does the mere fact that natural
ocean microbubbles already contribute measurably to Earth's albedo.

The ecological impacts, energy costs, variability of microbubble lifetime with
natural water surfactancy and other quantitative factors of course all remain
to be discovered.

It seems apparent from this exchange that the technique's very existence may
require some rethinking of what 'mitigation' means in practice, but the prime
focus of 'bright water ' remains water conservation in man made bodies of water
, not geoengineering in open ecosystems.

I sent the wmv. clip showing the ten-ton water pool brightening demonstration
to Locksley, and will try to attach it here , bandwidth permitting.
End Russell's e-mail today - responding to Andrew's message below

RWL: I have decided the above-mentioned wmv video clip (a bit more than 1
minute and almost 10 MB) should not be sent to the full list, but rather be
available upon request from Andrew (if received), Russell or myself. The clip
showed what appears to be a tank of 2-3 meter width and length and approaching
a meter deep, with four bubble forming nozzles, which "brightens" the tank
considerably in less than a minute. No data given on size or longevity of the
bubbles

Ron