Michael,

I'm not saying the production of microbubbles is a new idea.  However, I'm
not aware of any programme of testing of the behaviour of such bubbles in
real waters from around the world.  The key issue is residence time, and we
simply don't know how that will be affected by the myriad types of waters
which the technology could be deployed in. Whilst testing in canals and
reservoirs under the pretext of reducing evaporation makes a lot of sense,
any deployment at scale will be in the sea, and so testing seawater is
logically a better test.

My suggestion is that by concocting a simple series of 'homebrew'
experiments we can gather some really useful data which can help the
modelling of this technology tremendously.

I for one would not know whether the silty waters of the Thames estuary
would make better microbubble waters than the bright green biologically
active water of Portsmouth harbour.  Do you have any data which could answer
this question, without recourse to an experiement?

An experiment should settle the matter.  Furthermore, an experiment would
raise public awareness of, and interest in geoengineering.  It's not
practical for school children to launch balloons into the stratosphere, but
they could be very helpful in blowing bubbles into buckets of seawater with
a bicycle pump.  It may not be sexy, but my guess is it will be a good test
to gather some crude raw data for later modelling.