From: "Alan Robock" <rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu>
To: "Climate Intervention" <climateintervent...@googlegroups.com>,
"geoengineering" <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>, "SRMGI"
<sr...@royalsociety.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:04:27 AM
Subject: [clim] Abstract Deadline April 30 for Geoengineering Poster Session at
WCRP Open Science Conference, Denver, Colorado, October 24-28, 2011

REMINDER: ABSTRACT DEADLINE IS APRIL 30 FOR PRESENTATIONS
AT THE WCRP OPEN SCIENCE CONFERENCE.

Dear All,

We (Tom Peter and Alan Robock) are the conveners of a session on
geoengineering at the WCRP Open Science Conference, Denver, Colorado,
October 24-28, 2011. We invite submissions from all working on this
subject. The absolute deadline is April 30. The conference website is
http://www.wcrp-climate.org/conference2011/ and our session is described
at http://www.wcrp-climate.org/conference2011/posters_description.html#C45
. The style for this conference is many poster sessions and only a few
invited oral sessions.Poster sessions will be held with no competition
from the oral presentations. Please consider submitting your new work. The
complete description of our session is:

Session C45: Geoengineering to Counteract Global Warming? /(conveners:
A. Robock, T. Peter)/

With continued global warming, an increased pace of greenhouse gases
emissions, and the array and magnitude of climate impacts intensifying,
increasing attention is being paid to the potential for limiting the
effects of anthropogenic climate change through large-scale geotechnical
means, often called geoengineering. The most discussed approaches
include deliberately altering Earth’s radiation balance via carbon
capture and storage (for example, by scrubbing carbon dioxide from the
atmosphere or strengthening its oceanic sinks) or solar radiation
management (by brightening low-level clouds or generating a sulfate
aerosol layer in the stratosphere). Although specific approaches have
been proposed, relatively little is known about their potential
effectiveness and possible unintended consequences. Issues of
technological feasibility are also largely unexplored. We therefore
invite contributions that describe and address the potential
effectiveness and scientific and technical problems associated with
deliberate climate modification, including the potential for enhancement
of terrestrial and oceanic carbon sinks. Topics can include modeling
studies of the climatic impacts of proposed schemes; studies of
unintended environmental consequences; and evaluations of technological
feasibility. Recognizing that geoengineering raises a range of societal,
ethical, and governance issues, posters on these aspects are also welcome.

Sincerely,

Alan Robock and Thomas Peter

Alan Robock, Professor II
Editor, Reviews of Geophysics
Director, Meteorology Undergraduate Program
Associate Director, Center for Environmental Prediction
Department of Environmental Sciences Phone: +1-732-932-9800 x6222
Rutgers University Fax: +1-732-932-8644
14 College Farm Road E-mail: rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551 USA http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~robock