Hi Folks,

Bhaskar, this is what I was hoping to see. Your input is important.  BTW,
The diatom activity in the Gulf of Mexico (spill effected area) has just
collapse by around 3,000 percent and I will forward a link as soon as I find
it.

I am aware of the iron hypothosis and was hoping you would bring up that
connection. I will be on Mt. Baker for the next week and will post more when
I can.

Thank you for your imput.

PS. John, I have a few engineering ideas on how to farm these mats. Arctic
conditions would not be included in the concepts. Also, I am trying to find
any info on what troposperic sulfide injection would do to the AOM biota. I
am suspectiong that any sulfide which precips out over a methane field will
support the anaerobic food chain.

Michael

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 8:10 AM, M V Bhaskar <bhaskarmv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=119529&WT.mc_id=USNSF_1
> How Tiny Microbes Took a Big Bite out of the Deepwater Horizon Oil
> Spill
>
> A very interesting account of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill last
> year and the methane from the spill.
>
> "Methane-eating microbes remove oxygen from the water as they breathe.
> Therefore, if microbes were consuming methane in the plumes, we would
> expect the plumes' methane and oxygen levels to drop--phenomena that
> were indeed reflected in the data collected from the plumes in the
> fall."
>
> Diatoms can provide the oxygen required by the methane-eating microbes
> so that the microbes bloom faster and consume more methane.
>
> The point is that the methane-eating bacteria did their job without
> any induced oxygen increase.
> But then the Deepwater Horizon was a 'small' problem.
>
> What if the next such problem is bigger?
>
> Fukushima Nuclear power plant was designed for a 6 meter tsunami, a 10
> meter tsunami hit and now all 6 reactors are shut down.
>
> regards
>
> Bhaskar
>

> On May 24, 10:04 am, BHASKAR M V <bhaskarmv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi John
> >
> > Diatoms are not really 'out of the box'.
> >
> > They account for about 20 to 25% of the photosynthesis on earth.
> >
> > We are only proposing to increase the Diatom biomass by a small
> percentage.
> >
> > The means suggested for causing Diatoms to bloom, to use Nano Silica is
> 'out
> > of the box', since in nature Diatoms consume Dissolved Si in the form of
> > Silicic Acid.
> >
> > Fe is required by Diatoms, the concept of using Si to deliver Fe is 'out
> of
> > the box'.
> >
> > Diatoms don't capture methane, they increase oxygen level and cause
> aerobic
> > bacteria to bloom and this keeps out anoxic conditions and anaerobic
> > bacteria which would have produced methane.
> >
> > Diatoms can only reduce generation of fresh methane not consume existing
> > stock.
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Bhaskar
> >
> > On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 10:47 PM, John Nissen <johnnissen2...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >

> > > Hi Bhaskar,
> >
> > > Since we have to think "out of the box" on methane, I am wondering
> about a
> > > biological means to capture the methane which bubbles to the surface of
> the
> > > sea or lakes.  The mat idea got me thinking that we could have a
> > > surface-floating mat (acting as a membrane) of some kind biomaterial
> (not
> > > necessarily diatom) which would capture the bubbles - stopping the
> methane
> > > getting into the atmosphere.  And the same biomaterial could absorb and
> [...]

*Michael Hayes*
*360-708-4976*
http://www.wix.com/voglerlake/vogler-lake-web-site