From: "Ken Caldeira" <kcalde...@carnegie.stanford.edu>
To: "henrik karlsson" <henrik.karls...@biorecro.se>
Cc: "geoengineering" <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:21:38 PM
Subject: Re: [geo] Re: BECCS -- How much research is going on into biomass
energy with carbon capture and storage?

see attachment for the Keith and Rhodes 2002 comment in Climatic Change

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Henrik Karlsson < henrik.karls...@biorecro.se
> wrote:

Ron,

Please note that the issue discussed in this specific thread is only
related to BECCS as a CDR method, not to biopower/biofuels in general,
nor biochar. (For the context of the quote under discussion, read the
full text at http://www.issues.org/27.1/caldeira.html .)

[RWL: Partial agreement with you - but apologies if it didn't seem to fit.
Ken's "Issues" article covers all CDR approaches - and I was in part hoping to
bring attention to the lack of the word "Biochar" therein.
What I should have done was put more emphasis on the fact that both BECCS and
Biochar suffer from a lack of interest by all those interested in bioenergy -
both biopower and biofuels. Re your next sentence on BECCS fitting within the
DoE CCS program, I guess the problem is similar for Biochar - but your next
"fit" sentence is new information for me.]

My point, which I discussed with Ken, is that BECCS as of yet has
proved to be a surprisingly uncomfortable fit for the US DOE CCS
program. As the flue gas streams and quantities, transport and storage
network optimization, overall facility design, actor involvement,
economic incentives and GHG accounting is different between fossil
fuel CCS and BECCS, there is a need for separate BECCS efforts, of
course carried out in cooperation with other CCS efforts.

[RWL: I retract my statement below about my not seeing much need for separate
attention within the CCS (and probably RE/EE) programs. Mine was a statement
made from ignorance. I was not aware enough of the (now, obvious) differences
between CCS and BECCS, but in retrospect I can see a need for all of your
recommended added biomass-related R&D. My guess is that it will be a long time
before anyone reading this can find a way to get the different parts of the
biomass energy budget (who have to fight over their own shares of the budget)
to cooperate with those receiving funds for fossil research. But there is
reason to try for more cooperative work as well.
It is indeed therefore surprising to find that the sentence by Ken under
question (about whether a combined DoE and USDA program was going well) needed
more discussion from your BECCS perspective. I still think my observations on
the missing national effort on Biopower is/was pertinent - because the DoE
renewable energy people clearly need a biomass resource R&D activity. But the
present DoE effort is for energy not carbon negativity - and they do conflict
for Biochar (although not for BECCS). Since BECCS is receiving some national
funding (through CCS) and Biochar essentially none - I would not be too unhappy
if all of the Biochar funding went through USDA - and then some was sent by
them to DoE as needed. Alternating annual responsibilities for the program
looks like a bureaucratic nightmare.
It is not at all clear to me where national R&D budgetary responsibility for
Biochar will reside. At least BECCS does not have that problem.
But probably we need a new separate agency only doing geoengineering. What is
clear is that such a dream needs separate funding for the CDR and SRM
activities. Just as BECCS (now) obviously needs funding separate from CCS. [And
both BECCS and Biochar need funding separate from Bioenergy).

Biochar has a lot of pros, but we do not work with it at Biorecro. We
leave this technology for other entities to pursue. Essentially,
biochar and BECCS addresses two different market niches, as described
in your argumentation.
[RWL: But there is a fair degree of overlap - and your lengthy knowledge on
BECCS is much needed in the much newer Biochar world. Biorecro could have a
unique, profitable early role in Biochar as well.]

One interesting issue for a dedicated BECCS R&D effort would be to
answer your biochar <-> BECCS comparison question in depth. Until
then, I recommend a well written article by Keith and Rhodes: ”Bury,
burn or both: A two-for-one deal on biomass carbon and energy”,
Climatic Change, 2002.

[RWL: I did indeed find this article helpful. But the two main central concepts
of Biochar (carbon into soils and continuing out-year benefits) are missing
there (only because Biochar is new).
I agree that we need to begin what you describe as "biochar <-> BECCS
comparison". The first difference (which I had not been thinking about at all)
is that Biochar has no chance of dealing with CO2 arising from the
fermentation/digestion approaches to Biofuels. The only competition for that
market is over whether future biofuels are more apt to come from digestion
(helping BECCS) or pyrolysis (helping Biochar).
I was also somehat surprised to read in your article that there are a number of
existing biopower operations in Sweden that are too small for BECCS. They
therefore probably are quite appropriate for Biochar. It is in these areas that
I hope you can expand Biorecro's work. That (R&D, promotional, protective,
carbon negative) activity should be complementary for you, not contradictory
(thinking of your list of 6-7 needed BECCS research activities given above)

Again thanks.

Ron