Dear Mark: As I have noted before, you really need to do some order of
magnitude estimates and not just what you feel might be needed.

Let's take your 2000 tons of Lair dispersed over 3 days over about the area,
let's assume, of a good size of a city. The heat of vaporization (so heat it
would take up to vaporize the Lair) is roughly 200 Joules per gram
(something you can find in physics references). Each ton is 10**6 grams, and
each Joule is about 0.24 calories. Add maybe 24 calories/gram to raise the
temperature from the condensation point to a reasonable temperature, and one
has maybe 70 calories per gram of total heat uptake. Multiply this out (so
2000 tons times 70 calories per gram times 10**6 grams per ton) and one gets
something like 1.5 times 10**11 calories.

I switched to calories so I could make a comparison to a nuclear weapons
explosive power as we have had such events and had energy (heat rather than
cooling) added to the atmosphere and have a sense of the impact. So a
megaton is 10**15 calories, a kiloton is 10**12 calories, and Hiroshima and
Nagasaki blasts were of order 10**13 calories. If this is all right, the
amount of energy you are talking about, even if done all at once, is about a
hundredth the size of the Hiroshima or Nagasaki events. You are proposing
this energy transfer would be spread over 3 days, so if the nuclear bomb
clouds took 5 minutes to dissipate, then divide by another 1000 or so (take
a smaller number here if you want). However, during the three days the air
is moving and this will greatly spread out your proposed influence. I just
do not understand how this would have any significant effect.

As another example, let's take a guess at the amount of energy that a
tornado-generating convective storm processes. Assume a storm that covers
only 5 by 5 kilometers and generates 2.5 cm (1 inch) of rain per hour (both
very likely on the low side). So 2.5 cm times 25 square kilometers times 600
cal/g heat from condensation times 10**10 cm**2/km**2 and we get roughly 4
times 10**13 calories--so Hiroshima or Nagasaki size, and injecting the 2000
tons would be 1% of that, and that is sort of the very highest possible
ratio--most of these storms are much, much bigger. Again, I don't see how
this might work.

It would be good for you to work through on this and other order of
magnitude analyses, and for someone else to check this all, but if this is
anywhere near right, completely aside from the energy it would take to
create and insert the Lair, I just don't see how it would have any effect on
a large scale or on the tornado scale. Until you can provide really
quantitative examples, I don't think advocating Lair is advancing the
discussion.

Mike MacCracken