Here is another ocean related media story on new migration through NW
Passage
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2015429051_apeuclimateoceans.html?syndication=rss

<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2015429051_apeuclimateoceans.html?syndication=rss>
"Reid said the last time the world witnessed such a major incursion from the
Pacific was 2 million years ago, which had "a huge impact on the North
Atlantic," driving some species to extinction as the newcomers dominated the
competition for food."

<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2015429051_apeuclimateoceans.html?syndication=rss>Here
is the main home page for the mentioned EU research effort.
http://www.clamer.eu/about-clamer

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Rau, Greg <r...@llnl.gov> wrote:

> [...]
> Academy of Sciences on June 20.
>
> "Sea-level rise is a potentially disastrous outcome of climate change, as
> rising temperatures melt land-based ice and warm ocean waters," Horton said.
>
> "Scenarios of future rise are dependent upon understanding the response of
> sea level to climate changes. Accurate estimates of past sea-level
> variability provide a context for such projections," Kemp said.
>
> In the new study, researchers provided the first continuous sea-level
> reconstruction for the past 2,000 years and compared variations in global
> temperature to changes in sea level during this time period.
>
> The team found that sea level was relatively stable from 200 B.C. to 1,000
> A.D. During a warm climate period beginning in the 11th century known as the
> Medieval Climate Anomaly, sea level rose by about half a millimeter per year
> for 400 years. There was then a second period of stable sea level associated
> with a cooler period, known as the Little Ice Age, which persisted until the
> late 19th century. Since the late 19th century, however, sea level has risen
> by more than 2 millimeters per year on average, which is the steepest rate
> for more than 2,100 years.
>
> To reconstruct sea level, the research team used microfossils called
> foraminifera preserved in sediment cores from coastal salt marshes in North
> Carolina. The age of these cores was estimated using radiocarbon dating and
> several complementary techniques.
>
> To ensure the validity of their approach, the team members confirmed their
> reconstructions against tide-gauge measurements from North Carolina for the
> past 80 years and global tide-gauge records for the past 300 years. A second
> reconstruction from Massachusetts confirmed their findings. The records were
> also corrected for contributions to sea-level rise made by vertical land
> movements.
>
> The team's research shows that the reconstructed changes in sea level
> during the past millennium are consistent with past global temperatures and
> can be described using a model relating the rate of sea-level rise to global
> temperature.
>
> "The data from the past help to calibrate our model and will improve
> sea-level rise projections under scenarios of future temperature rise,"
> research team member Stefan Rahmstorf said.
>
> In addition to Horton and Kemp, the research was conducted by Jeffrey
> Donnelly of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Michael Mann of
> Pennsylvania State University, Martin Vermeer of Finland's Aalto University
> School of Engineering in Finland and Rahmstorf of Germany's Potsdam
> Institute for Climate Impact Research.
>
> Support for this research was provided by the National Science Foundation,
> the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, United States
> Geological Survey, the Academy of Finland, the European Science Foundation
> through European Cooperation in Science and Technology and the University of

*Michael Hayes*
*360-708-4976*
http://www.wix.com/voglerlake/vogler-lake-web-site