Why don't those of you dipping a (cold) toe in this arena enter the Sea Ice
Outlook comparison held each season by SEARCH?

http://www.arcus.org/search/seaiceoutlook/guidelines

(I noticed that WattsUpWithThat did~ )

More on that effort from Dot
Earth<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/?s=%22sea+ice+outlook%22>

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 7:19 AM, John Nissen <johnnissen2...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> not give you the vital data as to what the total sea ice volume is that they
> are measuring anomaly against!  However, you can see that this year is
> almost as down on 2007 as 2007 was on the 1979-2010 average.  If we assume
> that September 2007 was 40% down on the 1979-2010 average (which was true
> for the area), the 2011 could be almost 80% down.  We only need to reach 90%
> down to have 10% sea ice volume left, that Ron talks about as being a
> critically low level.  That makes the 2016 date seem quite reasonable, if
> not optimistic!
>
> Peter Wadhams points out that the sea ice thickness is decreasing faster
> than the sea ice extent.  These trends are of course masked by much wind and
> weather variability from year to year, which affects ice flow, not just
> direct melting.  This explains why one can have had relatively little change
> in the minimum sea ice extent since September 2007, although the volume has
> been declining.
>
> 64 trillion dollar question*
>
> If geoengineering is to have a good chance to save the Arctic sea ice, then
> it needs to be deployed quickly, building up to maximum strength by summer
> 2013.  By then the Arctic annually-averaged radiative forcing of the "albedo
> flip" (as ice/snow reflection of sunlight turns to sea/land absorption of
> sunlight) may exceed 10 Watts per square metre [2].  Could a combination of
> SRM methods, with deployment ramped up as fast as possible, have a chance to
> exceed 10 W/m-2 of negative forcing in the Arctic by summer 2013, in order
> to halt Arctic warming and save the Arctic sea ice?
>
> Note that cloud brightening and other SRM methods could contribute to
> negative forcing by cooling the water flowing into the Arctic, especially
> the currents from the North Atlantic.  So cooling does not have to be
> directly of the Arctic itself.
>
> Cheers from Chiswick,
>
> John
>
> * P.S.  It's a 64 trillion dollar question if you consider that losing the
> sea ice could have repercussions affecting the total global GDP, which is
> around that value.
>
> [1]
> http://psc.apl.washington.edu/wordpress/research/projects/arctic-sea-ice-volume-anomaly/
>
> [2]
> http://www.mail-archive.com/geoengineering@googlegroups.com/msg00660.html
>
> [geo] Re: Geoengineering - cloud effects
>
> John Nissen
> Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:42:10 -0800
> ---
>

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM, David Appell <david.app...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> By my estimation of PIOMASS data, September sea-ice could be gone in
>> about 12 years:
>>
>> http://davidappell.blogspot.com/2011/07/arctic-ice-is-at-record-low.html
>>

>> David
>> --
>> David Appell, independent science journalist

*Please excuse typos; as you may be aware, I had a stroke 1
July<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/01/time-for-a-checkup/>
.*

ANDREW C. REVKIN
Dot Earth blogger, The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/dotearth
Senior Fellow, Pace Acad. for Applied Env. Studies
Cell: 914-441-5556 Fax/voicemail: 509-357-0965
Twitter: @revkin Skype: Andrew.Revkin