From: "John Nissen" <j...@cloudworld.co.uk>
To: "marty hoffert" <marty.hoff...@nyu.edu>
Cc: euggor...@comcast.net, geoengineering@googlegroups.com,
kcalde...@globalecology.stanford.edu, anr...@nytimes.com, "Tyler Volk"
<tyler.v...@nyu.edu>, "David Wasdell" <wasd...@meridian.org.uk>, "Alan Robock"
<rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu>, "Stefan Rahmstorf"
<stefan.rahmst...@pik-potsdam.de>, "John Shepherd" <john_g_sheph...@mac.com>,
"Mark Lynas" <markly...@zetnet.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2011 7:53:53 AM
Subject: Re: [geo] Jamais Cascio-- on the problematic idea of 350

Hi Marty,

I was just looking through some bulky emails to delete them, when I noticed
this one on climate sensitivity. You put 2.5 degrees warming for CO2 doubling.
It is interesting that the climate sensitivity has been reappraised, e.g. by
Hansen giving 3 degrees [1] and by Wasdell giving a much higher figure of
around 7.8 degrees [2].

Wasdell raises a fundamental point about the behaviour of the climate system
over recent Ice Ages when temperature has varied by 5 degrees, yet CO2 has only
varied between 180 ppm and 280 ppm.

[quote from [2]]

That raises the fundamental “Emperor’s Clothes” question of climate science:

8.5.1 “If the Charney sensitivity, supported by our modern computer models,
projects that a doubling of the concentration of atmospheric carbon-dioxide
leads to a temperature rise of 3ºC at equilibrium, then why, in the empirically
measured behaviour of the planetary system, does an increase of only 56% in CO2
concentration (from 180 ppm to 280 ppm) lead to a 5ºC change in temperature?”

[end quote]

Now that assumes that the CO2 causes the warming (rather than the polar
amplification of Milankovitch signals, as I would suggest [4]). However I think
Wasdell is onto something. There does seem to have to been systemic optimism in
the climate science community about the effect of CO2 emissions on global
warming, and we are on course to reach 4 degrees or more, even with the most
drastic CO2 cuts one could imagine through a UNFCCC path (especially given the
political situation in US and China).

Furthermore the potential contribution of Arctic methane to global warming is
being ignored.

Furthermore, 1.5 degrees is now being accepted as a significantly safer target
than 2 degrees [3]. And there are calls for the CO2 level to be quickly brought
below 350 ppm, amid concerns about ocean acidification as well as global
warming.

How much evidence does the scientific community need, before accepting the
requirement for geoengineering? Perhaps those who still say that geoengineering
is too risky (in relation to benefits) should answer this question. There are
some on this list!

Cheers,

John

[1] http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2011/20110118_MilankovicPaper.pdf

[2] http://www.apollo-gaia.org/Climate%20Sensitivity.pdf

[3]
http://globalwarmingisreal.com/2011/06/03/unfccc-chief-says-two-degrees-is-not-enough/

[4] Nissen, J "Arctic sea ice thermostatic control of global temperature", EGU
2011 (to be published)

---