Ken, Greg, List:

Few comments below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Caldeira" <kcalde...@carnegie.stanford.edu>
To: rongretlar...@comcast.net
Cc: r...@llnl.gov, "geoengineering" <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:43:32 PM
Subject: Re: [geo] BPC news [Climate Strategy Context Circle]

Ron,

The figure you refer to is attached (in three different forms). Glad you liked
it. I do.

'Mitigation' as the IPCC applies the term is policies undertaken to reduce
emissions or increase sinks, and thus could include conservation, efficiency,
low-emission energy technologies and air capture.

[RWL: And some of us see Biochar (and BECCS, but not biomass burial) in there
also - as a "low emission energy technology" . Maybe a division of the full
"twelve hours" into two equal parts might allow the word "mitigation" to denote
the right hand side. Or if your circle is thought of as a 24- hour clock, the
mitigation portion is the "AM". This equal division is meant, of course, to
also indicate that there are CDR approaches that are NOT mitigators. The idea
of the day ending on the left has merit.
Another division that might be worth considering is to have another shading
from about 5:00 to 8:00 [or 11AM to 5 PM on a 24 hour clock] to further
emphasize where Geoengineering (CDR and SRM) fit into the seven part sequence.
I missed at first your color difference for 3 of the 7 circles (or really two
arrows) .

The red "arrow" was intended to show a negative influence (climate impacts
negatively influence pursuit of well-being), whereas black arrows show a
positive influence (i.e., more of whatever is at the base of the arrow tends to
produce more of whatever is at the tip of the arrow).
[RWL: Hmm. I guess accountants will catch that concept. Might also help to have
arrows that grow in width except for this last one - which could be inverted.

The six blue "stone weapons" all seem to be "impedors" of the increasing
tendencies. Perhaps six second reverse arrows could also be added to (or
replace) the six blue symbols. They could be smaller arrows and dashed. But
when you get to the 7th arrow, the size and "dashing" could be reversed on
these two arrows (or missing).
This allows me to suggest that there could be a reversal of the only-negative
intent of the present circle - that the size of the arrows can (must) change
with time. I would like to somehow think that the first four arrows
(conservation, efficiency, renewable energy and CDR) can get us to revert to an
earlier simpler closed circle.]

I guess for me the entry point is the desire to improve our lot (the desire for
improved well-being), which is why i put that on top.

[RWL: Now that I better understand that point and the subtleties here, let me
give some of my thinking on indicator labels for this now-unlabeled seventh
phase. I was hoping for something to distinguish between
7. IMPACTS ON HUMANS AND ECOSYSTEMS
and
1. DESIRE FOR IMPROVED WELL-BEING

And this seventh "reverse arrow" label would hopefully connote something in
between "Adaptation" and "Conservation" -- and have either an energy or climate
meaning/definition.

Perhaps like you - I couldn't come up with one. I now see why you have the red
arrow. This is more like getting to the edge of the cliff. It is more akin to
the Doomsday countdown clock of the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists.

Possible ways to accentuate the non-continuous nature of this circle (and you
may want to avoid my use of the term "clock") are:

a. The seven circles could grow in size as you move clockwise, showing
increasing negative situations.
b. They could change color from green to dark red
c. There could be a seventh dashed blue "weapon" designator with a label like
"No hope".
d. There could be an indicator of a "tipping point" somewhere, preventing
closure of the circle.
e. There could be an earlier, simpler (closed?) circle for 50 years ago (with
only positive impacts and different colors and circle sizes) before we
understood the negative consequences of the CO2 associated with fossil fuels.

Please feel free to try to make a better version of this figure.

[RWL: I used to have access to graphics programs, perhaps as good as yours.
Instead, now I can only give the ideas above for your consideration. I still
like your circle as a good new way of explaining the terms and timing of the
various circles and the connecting arrows. I retract my yearning last time for
total symmetry.

Ron

Best,

Ken

_______________
Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
+1 650 704 7212 kcalde...@carnegie.stanford.edu
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab @kencaldeira

See our YouTube:
Sensitivity of temperature and precipitation to frequency of climate forcing:
Ken Caldeira
Her lab, mules, and carbon capture and storage: Sally Benson speaks to Near
Zero