Hi Folks,

I am studying Dr. Jaffe's work on China's pollution transport. This is the
article which caught my attention.

http://discovermagazine.com/2011/apr/18-made-in-china-our-toxic-imported-air-pollution

"It was the first time anyone had decisively identified Asian mercury in
American air, and the quantities were stunning. The levels Jaffe measured
suggested that Asia was churning out 1,400 tons a year. The results were a
shock to many scientists, Jaffe says, because “they still couldn’t wrap
their heads around the magnitude of the pollution and how dirty China’s
industry was.” They were only starting to understand the global nature of
the mercury problem"

The work in this area does not offer full analogies to the issue of testing
climate engineering (atmospheric injection) yet, it would seem to offer a
good case for use in modeling. The on line article does not include the
model showing the trans oceanic mercury transport (1400 tons per year)
found in the hard copy. If anyone is interested in this issue, I will dig it
up and send it PM.

In short and unfortunately, the massive amount of pollution coming from
China seems to be producing an early form of climate engineering test, all
be it negitive. I have viewed models of ocean pH/O2 in the path of this
ongoing plum and it is the most damaged ocean areas on the earth. Jaffe's
work may not provide help in modeling useful climate engineering tools but,
he does seem to provide a good look at "how not to geoengineer"........ like
China.

Thanks,

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Ken Caldeira <
kcalde...@carnegie.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Please find attached:
>
> MacMynowski, D. G., Keith, D., Caldeira, K., and Shin, H.-J., 2011. “Can we
> test geoengineering?” *Energy and Environmental Science*, DOI:
> 10.1039/c1ee01256h.
>
> We also made a couple of YouTube videos about this paper:
>
> Doug MacMynowski discussing "Can We Test Geoengineering?"
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0spy0Yn_nko
>
> Doug MacMynowski and Ken Caldeira in discussion:  Can We Test
> Geoengineering?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o8wBo4R7ME
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Ken
>
> PS.  Be aware that these videos are extemporaneous talking I believe
> without any internal edits, so not everything is said as carefully as one
> might have liked.
>
> _______________
> Ken Caldeira
>
> Carnegie Institution Dept of Global Ecology
> 260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
> +1 650 704 7212 kcalde...@carnegie.stanford.edu
> http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira
>
> See our *YouTube:*
> Sensitivity of temperature and precipitation to frequency of climate
> forcing: Ken Caldeira <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDRYM_5S0AE>
> Her lab, mules, and carbon capture and storage: Sally Benson speaks to Near
> Zero <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMJJn6eP8J0>
>
>   --

*Michael Hayes*
*360-708-4976*