Andrew and list:

I found the full original article is more interesting/important than the news
article and the 70 some comments that were there a few minutes ago. The main
article (free) can be found at:
http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/6/4/044006/pdf/1748-9326_6_4_044006.pdf
with two links to supplementary data (the full survey questions and how they
looked on the computer screen)

I wonder if the authors (A M Mercer, D W Keith and J D Sharp - some presumably
read this list) would be interested in seeing how this list would respond (and
reporting the results back to us). The full analysis program looks like it
should be ready to go.

I need to do more careful reading - but so far I am most surprised that the
words "ocean acidification" and "unplanned early stoppage" never appeared.

Sentences #9 bothered me because CDR is part of Geoengineering and is never
mentioned by name or concept:
"9. Do you think that geoengineering should be used as a solution to global
warming?
[4 point scale: strongly disagree, somewhat disagree, somewhat agree, strongly
agree, I
am unsure] "
(To be fair, notice is given that SRM is only one part of geoengineering - but
the CDR part is never mentioned. My answer to this one would cause me to look
inconsistent - as this question had no space for an open-ended answer. There
are a few later open-ended opportunities - and I'd like to see some of those.)

In sum, I think the article is a useful start at this topic of public
understanding and beliefs on SRM - especially as there is some analysis of what
types of individuals are responding in two main groups. I hope the survey can
be repeated with other groups who have had more exposure to the SRM topic
(through "Deliberative Polling" or similar) and to the CDR portion as well.

I repeat - I need to re-read the article. I respond now only to help others get
past the news item identified by Andrew - to the article itself.

Ron