William and list:

I happened to have received as separate notification of the DoD report you have
identified below and have skimmed the 175 pages. My link was to
http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/dod/dsb/climate.pdf - and seemed to download a
little faster than the one you give below.

The title is "Trends and Implications of Climate Change for National and
International Security". There is no well defined author, but there are four
staff persons from the DC-based firm Science Applications, Inc (This is NOT
SAIC). The full study panel (mostly military from all the services) began work
in the spring of 2010. As you noted, there is some material on China, but by
far the greatest emphasis is on Africa. There are some "climate impact" maps
for Africa that are the best I can recall seeing. (This emphasis because of the
part of DoD that co-sponsored the report.)

I found this to be as strong a statement on urgency as from any US government
agency I can recall. Hence I think it can be important - perhaps especially in
the US House - to convert the opinions of some in Congress who might believe
DoD on a climate topic.. I hope a hearing can be arranged for this pretty
definitive study.

There is really very little in the main report on what to do, but Appendix A is
entitled "Climate Information System Needs", with 29 pages - and is noting that
not much money really is going into climate information. Then Appendix B
(Special topics) has nine pages on tipping points and Geoengineering. Not much
new detail, but all fairly supportive of geoengineering. I look through these
sorts of reports of course looking for "Biochar", and found it only on the very
last page (p138) in a diagram showing 7 CDR alternatives. The previous figure
shows 6 SRM alternatives. There are probably/possibly some more errors in the
text, but the only one I found was in reversing the titles of these two
figures.

The last few pages of the report describe the intent of the Defense Science
Board committee and the membership. It seems possible that the most key person
was Dr. William Howard, listed as a consultant and co-chair. The CIA was listed
as a participant - and I'll bet the CIA does indeed have some good climate
information they could be sharing.

I searched around a bit for more DoD material on climate and found nothing as
urgent or current (this report being labeled Oct. 2011). But, I found this
additional report looked pretty good on monitoring CO2 emissions:
http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/dod/jason/emissions.pdf

There was emphasis at one site on the transmittal 2-pager from the two
co-chairs - which sai d this:

"The recommendations fall into five main areas:
• The need for developing a robust climate information system
• Instituting water security as a core element of DOD strategy

• Roles of the national security community, including the intelligence
community, the Department of State, and the White House
• Guidance and DOD organization to address the full range of international
climate change-related issues and their impact on the evolution of DOD’s
missions
• Combatant command roles, responsibilities, and capacities "

I also found the report at:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/72728850/Trend-and-Implications-of-Climate-Change-for-National-and-International-Security

I also found that Joe Romm, a few days ago, also caught this report (see
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/11/17/370727/defense-science-board-climate-change/#jump)
 - but there is not much there by Joe. He doesn't make it as big a breakthrough
as I am (still) thinking it is.

If anyone can identify more on whether this report is really important, I think
that information could be helpful to this list

Ron