Hi Folks,

I have been looking into Electromagnetic Forcing (EF) as it may be related
to mesospheric clouds for some time. Electromagnetic forcing does not work
with low tropospheric clouds (which already have a large mix
of electron/ions....ie.good electrical balance).

Yet, mesospheric cloud formations do seem to be populated primarily
by positive ions and thus may be subject to direct EF. Mesospheric
clouds/polar stratospheric clouds/noctlucent clouds are at an altitude
which precludes a large population of negative ions from the surface being
lifted up into the cloud base(s). Thus, a significant and permanent
imbalance between electron and positive ion concentrations can possably be
exploited.

Please see the following (I offer this for those folks other than Dr.
Latham...I am sure he is well aware of this information):
The upper mesosphere and lower thermosphere: a review of experiment and
theory
 By Roberta M. Johnson, T. L. Killeen
http://books.google.com/books?id=4ioY2Wo_560C&pg=PA206&lpg=PA206&dq=ion+charge,+mesospheric+clouds&source=bl&ots=rddrSYRRm8&sig=pHdzVdmChAOb5XVq2zID0z05zpw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=f4oDT4L0L6j8iQK28u3sBw&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=ion%20charge%2C%20mesospheric%20clouds&f=false

Page 206, sec. 6;

*"Since negative ions are not expected to exist in significant numbers at
mesopause altitudes, detection of such a permanent imbalance between
electron and positive-ion concentrations would be a powerful argument in
support of the analysis presented here"*

To reduce this type of cloud structure(s) through EF would offer both short
wave SRM and possibly long wave O3 protection. As Dr. Latham correctly
points out, EF of the mesospheric region has the sizable issue of scale.

I have, at a vary preliminary level, looked into the use of a *large
fleet*of specialized blimps which could exploit the electrical
imbalance within
meseospheric clouds on an on going time scale. I personally believe it is
possible to reduce the volume of these high clouds to a degree which can
make a marked difference, yet, it would be a Billion dollar(+) per year
effort.

The Mechanics:

Simply put, by rotating 2 blimp envelopes (of dissimilar material) against
each other, the static charge created will attract the local ambient ions
to the envelopes. The resulting build up of frost upon the envelopes is
then mechanically compressed within the mutual envelope contact area and,
along with the friction between the 2 envelopes, the resulting "compressed
slush" is ejected from the craft.

This may be the only possible approach as; any introduction of an
attractive charge will cause ambient material build up upon the static
charge generator (craft) and that build up will need to be continually
removed and all this needs to be done on a very large and on going
scale. Harnessing multiple blimps together is the only practical means I
can conceive of to accomplish EF of meseospheric clouds. A large fleet of
automated craft working both polar regions as a "swarm" is within current
technical means. Such upper atmospheric swarms could have secondary uses.

If anyone is interested in the details of such a concept or can possibly
offer a more elegant means, please let me know.

Thanks,

Michael

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM, John Latham <
john.latha...@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> [geoengineering@googlegroups.com];[kcalde...@carnegie.stanford.edu];[
> s.sal...@ed.ac.uk]
>
> Electromagnetic Forced Precipitation.
>
> Hello All,
>
> The following comments are presented diffidently, because I
> do not have sufficient info re the physics & observational evidence
> to be categoric.
>
> However, our Atmos. Phys. Res. Group at the U of Manchester {and similar
> groups
> in many countries) have performed field, laboratory and computational
> research over several decades into topics such as:- ice crystal
> aggregation; rain formation,
> droplet coalescence; the influence of electrostatic forces on the above
> processes,
> field studies of the influence of cloud seeding on precipitation formation
> and amounts,
> electrostatic dissipation of fogs etc etc. Hundreds of peer-reviewed
> papers have been published
> on this work.
>
> I realize that the proposed electromagnetic forced precipitation
> techniques is different from the techniques employed in the earlier work,
> but there are common features/problems  applying to these techniques. An
> important one is that of spatial scale. To be of practical consequence, the
> proposed cloud clearance technique would need to able to cover  an enormous
> area of ever-changing clouds, as the cloud particles are continuously being
> created and destroyed. Also, the separation of adjacent particles in these
> clouds would be at least a hundred diameters. Nature is very efficient at
> forming clouds, if the temperature and humidity structure of the atmosphere
> is appropriate.
> I seems to me that before considering this interesting idea as an
> effective geo-engineering candidate, it needs to be much more fully
> examined and defined, ideally  by several independent groups, and be
> multiply published in top-rank journals, with the papers subjected to
> rigorous and comprehensive peer review.
>
> Happy New Year!,     John.     {lat...@ucar.edu}
>

> John Latham Address: P.O. Box 3000,MMM,NCAR,Boulder,CO 80307-3000
> Email: lat...@ucar.edu  or john.latha...@manchester.ac.uk
> Tel: (US-Work) 303-497-8182 or (US-Home) 303-444-2429
>  or   (US-Cell)   303-882-0724  or (UK) 01928-730-002
> http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/people/latham

*Michael Hayes*
*360-708-4976*
http://www.voglerlake.com