The answer to Ken's rhetorical question is a qualified "yes", if you ignore
kinetics and assume you are looking only at the CO2 capture, desorption,
clean-up and compression as he described then you can do it for pennies a kg of
CO2 which is pennies per kWh. It's a yes because posed this way, ignoring
kinetics and the capital and energy cost of the absorber this is the core of
the standard engineering case for post-combustion CCS that has been analyzed
endlessly for 20 years and for which there is lots of relevant commercial
hardware.
The qualification is around details of this particular material, but there are
other solid and liquid systems that do this.
For air capture it's harder because one cannot ignore the kinetics of uptake
and the capital cost of the absorber structure.
There is not much CO2 in the air so the contacting structure (the thing that
actually gets CO2 from the air) must be very cheap. Here are some order of
magnitude numbers:
1. You can't afford to move the air faster than a few m/s though the device
(100 Pa= 6.1 kJ/mol-C= 13 m/s)
2. At that air flow, even if you get all the CO2 you are getting no more than
of order 10 tCO2 m-2 yr-1.
3. Assume it is 10 tCO2 m-2 yr-1 and you don't want to pay more than 50 $/tCO2
for the amortized cost of the structure. Then the cost per square meter of
inlet area must be less than 3 $k. (At 15% overall capital charge factor $3000
m-2 is $45 m-2 yr-1 which you then divide by the 10 tCO2 and round). This is
hard. Large cooling towers are about $2000 m-2.
4. The amount of absorbing surface you need behind each square meter of inlet
is depends on the kinetics of uptake, but at a mass transfer coefficient of 1
mm/sec one needs of order 500 m2 of surface area behind each 1 m2 of inlet.
5. For us a Carbon Engineering, using plastic packing it easy to meet this cost
criteria as they cost 1$ per m2 of surface area. For our system packing cost is
only a small fraction of contactor cost and a very small fraction of overall
turn-key plant cost.
6. In order for a solid system to compete it must either have a much faster
mass transfer coefficient or by roughly as cheap; and for a solid one must
contrive a way to temperature or humidity cycle the whole solid structure
cheaply and without significant air leaks. (Or find a way to gather the
solids...).
You can see some of our views about solid vs liquid systems at answer Q&A #8 at
http://www.carbonengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/CarbonEngineering-AirCaptureFAQ.pdf.
Of course, the disadvantage of a liquid system is regeneration and management
of liquid loss.
The problems for solids are (a) getting fast uptake kinetics, (b) cycling given
that the whole structure must be cycled either humidity swing or thermal swing,
and (c) sorbent lifetime given that all the fancy solid must last for order a
decade in air that contains contaminants such as particulates, trace gases and
larger debris of all types.
Bottom line: this looks like a real advance but without data on kinetics and
long-term performance one can't judge how useful it is for air capture.
In the near term we are reasonably confident that our liquid system will win
for many large-scale air capture applications, but over the long run it's much
harder to say what will happen.