I believe we are able to accept such donations and would be happy to do so.

http://carnegiescience.edu/giving-opportunities

I believe we can accept donations earmarked for specific purposes. (If the
demands are too cumbersome, we can always decline.)

The normal form just let's you specify down to the department level, not
the project level. However, I think a phone call or an email would be
enough to specify the subject area to which the funds should be applied.

---

That said, I am not a lawyer and am not speaking on behalf of my
institution. For big donations, we can develop specific signed agreements
about how funds would be used. For small donations, my guess is the
institution would allocate the donation to the project requested by the
donor, but would not want to open themselves up to potential frivolous
lawsuits examining exactly how tiny donations were spent.

(If you want to damage an organization, donate $10 for a specific purpose
and then sue them in small claims court claiming they mis-spent the money,
and then make them go through all kinds of maneuvers to document exactly
how the $10 was spent.)

Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
+1 650 704 7212 kcalde...@carnegie.stanford.edu
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira