I am traveling and have not had a chance to read the Pongratz article
closely yet, but it looks like the comparison is between a control
scenario, a 2xCO2 world, and a 2xCO2 + stratospheric aerosols world.
This is common practice, and the analytical logic is clear, however
presenting model runs this way plays into the hands of critics who
mischaracterize the policy choice as between mitigation and
geoengineering.  Opponents point to these results and portray
researchers as supporting geoengineering as an alternative to
mitigation - "or else why wouldn't emissions cuts be represented in
the models?"  Couldn't modelers include mixed mitigation/
geoengineering scenarios as a routine feature of such studies, to make
it harder for critics to misrepresent things?  After all, almost no
one is arguing for intervention without emissions cuts.

Josh Horton
joshuahorton...@gmail.com
http://geoengineeringpolitics.blogspot.com/