My two cents,

I think opening up the full spectrum of GHGs to consideration is highly
important. Stratospheric moisture is *the* principle GHG, yet little
conceptual work has been put forward on this site (or any other) concerning
the direct removal of this primary GHG. Just to be able to
reduce stratospheric polar moisture content would bring about large global
cooling effects.

In the case of polar N2O and its part in Polar Stratospheric Clouds (PSCs),
any effort to directly reduce the mass of PSCs would be 310 times (per IPCC
2.10.2 Direct GWP) as effective as the removal of one part of CO2 (this
does not mention the possitive effect it would have on O3). If the effort
to reduce other more powerful compounds can be put into an overall effort
to directly reduce PSCs, that effort could see up to a 23,900 fold effect
(Sulfur hexafluoride-SF6)!!!!!

I suspect that the polar stratospheric/mesospheric regions are the
pollution concentration centers of the atmosphere much like the ocean gyres
concentrate flotsam. Here is a Sept. 2011 media report on some HIPPO
findings which illustrates the point.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/334245/title/HIPPO_reveals_climate_surprises

"Then there’s soot. Parts of the supposedly pristine Arctic skies host
dense clouds of these black
carbon<http://www.pewclimate.org/global-warming-basics/blackcarbon-factsheet>particles.
During some flights, “We were immersed in essentially clouds of
black carbon that were dense enough that you could barely see the ground,”
recalls Stephen Wofsy of Harvard University, a principal
investigator<http://hippo.ucar.edu/HIPPO/videos/steve-wofsy-hippo-pi>in
the program. “It was like landing in Los Angeles — except that you
were
8 kilometers above the surface of the Arctic Ocean.”

The Johansson paper is interesting in that it begains to look at
Cost-Effective Temperature Potential (CETP) as opposed to being myoptic on
CO2. However, iIt will take me a few days to understand the full
paper. Thanks for passing it along.

Michael
On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Rau, Greg <r...@llnl.gov> wrote:

> See attached. Comments? - Greg
>

> Economics- and physical-based metrics
>
> for comparing greenhouse gases
>
> Daniel J. A. Johansson
>

> © Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2011
>
> Abstract A range of alternatives to the Global Warming Potential (GWP) have
>
> been suggested in the scientific literature. One of the alternative
> metrics that
>
> has received attention is the cost-effective relative valuation of
> greenhouse gases,
>
> recently denoted Global Cost Potential (GCP). However, this metric is
> based on
>
> complex optimising integrated assessment models that are far from
> transparent to
>
> the general scientist or policymaker.Here we present a new analytic
> metric, the Cost-
>
> Effective Temperature Potential (CETP) which is based on an approximation
> of the
>
> GCP. This new metric is constructed in order to enhance general
> understanding
>
> of the GCP and elucidate the links between physical metrics and metrics
> that take
>
> economics into account.We show that this metric has got similarities with
> the purely
>
> physical metric, Global Temperature change Potential (GTP). However, in
> contrast
>
> with the GTP, the CETP takes the long-term temperature response into
> account.

*Michael Hayes*
*360-708-4976*
http://www.voglerlake.com