In terms of Ken's first comment, perhaps this is a bit aside the
point, but
I'm not sure it's just rate or rate plus amount of change:
if you look at the (admittedly awfully rough) Phanerozoic climate
reconstruction,
and look at where the 5 big extinctions took place, it's noteworthy
that there
seems to have been a spike that was both much bigger & faster at the
end of the Carboniferous,
without any mass extinction, than at the end Devonian, where there
was.
All five occurred, on the other hand, when temps seem to have been a
couple of degrees
warmer. So maybe it's the absolute temperature, plus rate & change: it
would seem like once it gets above ~60F,
then perturbations upwards seem to easily lead to die offs.....

Nathan