Hello Hiroshi, Masa and All,

Thank you for this important information. The Heisei Environment Research
Fund's 24 year R&D Challenge seems to be the first non-IPCC co-ordinated
Meta Study effort which, as mentioned; 1) recognizes the possibility of an
Arctic tipping point and; 2) provides the concept of Geoengineering a place
at the table.

The translation provided here
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.env.go.jp%2Fpolicy%2Fkenkyu%2Fsuishin%2Fkoubo%2Fpdf%2F2012s-10_needs.pdf
is
workable and deserves a patient reading.

I would like to draw specific attention to the following section as it has
the most relivance on a possible Arctic tipping point.

Page 7;
*Research on climate change risk analysis of critical (3): Theme 3*
* *
*Theme Leader: Taikan Oki (Professor, Institute of Industrial Science,
University of Tokyo) *
*** *
*"Critical phenomena and geophysical characterization of the risk of
climate change with a focus on the cryosphere (4): [public]  sub-themes" *

If the ESAS erupts into an obvious tipping point this coming spring, Dr.
Oki should be CCed on any information coming from this Group on that issue.

As a side note of relevant interest:

I spent some time reading background information on the Heisei Fund and
found this paper which was partially funded by that group. A fast moving
ESAS tipping point situation may demand this type of "networked based
cooperation".

*Between the Theory and Policy:
Environmental Networking the East Asian Way*

http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/acd/re/k-rsc/ras/04_publications/ria_en/9_03.pdf

*"In this article, the reason why network-based cooperation can
be a driving force in East Asia will be mainly discussed. Such
inquiry is of growing importance as it implies a critical standpoint
of the theory/policy dichotomy by analyzing the existing
approaches to environmental governance in East Asia."*

Hiroshi and Masa, thank you again for bringing the Heisei Challange effort
to the Group. It is a welcomed perspective.

Michael

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 6:00 AM, Masa Sugiyama
<s-m...@criepi.denken.or.jp>wrote:

> Just to follow up, the funding has not been finalized yet.  The
> overaching project on climate
> risk (including mitigation, tipping elements, impact analysis etc.) is
> very likely
> to launch this spring, but the sub-projects are subject to change, in
> my understanding.
> And it is not clear how much of the funding would go into the
> geoengineering
> aspect of the project.
>
> The call for proposals can be read in machine-generated English here
> (thanks to Google):
> http://goo.gl/I8F7U
>
> Best,
> Masa
>
> On Feb 15, 10:16 am, hiroshi mizutani <mizutani49...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >      Japan’s Ministry of the Environment is at the final stage of
> selection
> > process to grant a bounty to geoengineering researches.
> >
> >      The name of the umbrella project under which geoengineering
> proposals
> > are now reviewed is something like “Multidisciplinary Research on
> > Constructing Risk Management Plan for Global Climate Change.”  Titles of
> > research subjects that bear the word “geoengineering” are “Extension and
> > Application of Integrated Evaluation System in light of Adaptation and
> > Geoengineering Technologies” and “Meta-analysis and Assessment of
> > Advancements of Geoengineering Technologies.”
> >
> >      The research period is 5 years beginning this April and the annual
> > budget is about US $3,850,000 (300,000,000 in Japanese yen), totaling
> more
> > than US 19 million dollars at present exchange rate.
> >
> >      It only recently came to my attention, and I am sorry for being late
> > to inform you on this important development on geoengineering in Japan.
> > For details, please visit to:
> http://www.env.go.jp/policy/kenkyu/suishin/koubo/pdf/2012s-10_needs.pdf
> > (Regrettably, language of the site is Japanese; for other languages,
> please
> > ask the Ministry through their English home page athttp://
> www.env.go.jp/en/(atthe bottom of the page, phone number and masked
> E-mail entrance are