From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com
[mailto:geoengineering@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of david
Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:37 AM
To: geoengineering
Subject: [geo] Re: Lindzen presents skeptics' case to UK House of Commons

Lindzen has asserted he does not like being called a "skeptic" because he
prefers that people call him a "denier".  Eg:  when he was
interviewed on BBC's "One Planet" October 3 2010.   A recording is
available here:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009yfwl

Here is a transcript of the portion of the show where this topic came
up:

BBC interviewer Michael Williams:  "Professor, I described you a little
earlier as a 'climate skeptic', a shorthand for which I hope you will
forgive me, I'm sure you don't doubt the existence of the climate itself....

Lindzen:  "Well you know I also don't like that word particularly.

Williams:  "So what should I use?"

Lindzen:  "Well, its a good question.  Let me explain why I don't like it.
You know to be skeptical assumes there is a strong presumptive case, but you
have your doubts.  I think we're dealing with a situation where there's not
a strong presumptive case."

[...they drift off into discussion of another topic then return to this
issue]

Williams:  "OK, you don't like the word 'skeptic'.  Do you have a
suggestion?  I've read a couple of suggestions. 'Denier' is apparently
unacceptable...."

Lindzen:  "Yeah well, I actually like 'denier'.  That's closer than
'skeptic'...."

On Feb 28, 8:23 am, Ken Caldeira <kcalde...@carnegie.stanford.edu>
wrote:
> There is a problem of language here.
>
> I am a 'climate skeptic'.
>
> A 'skeptic' is defined as someone who is inclined to question or doubt
> accepted opinions. All good scientists should be skeptics.
>
> ---
>
> What we have here is denialism, not skeptiicism.
>
> I suggest that Lindzen's problem is a failure to adequate doubt or
> question opinions that he has accepted. The problem is that Lindzen is
> not enough of a skeptic.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2010/01/lindzen-and-cho...http
://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2006/02/richard-lindzen...http://w
ww.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2006/04/lindzen-point-b...