I concur with Andrew. Great to see Ken doing this.

It's both a responsibility AND opportunity, particularly given the
shrinking mainstream science media.

Two relevant pieces:

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/02/filling-the-science-communication-gap/

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/the-changing-communication-climate/

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Andrew Lockley <andrew.lock...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Peeps can subscribe to Ken's channel on this link
> http://www.youtube.com/user/CarnegieGlobEcology?feature=watch
>
> It would be great to see other researchers set up channels like this to
> explain their work using videos.  It's a good way of promoting our science
> for policymakers, general public, teachers and other scientists.  Maybe
> researchers with blogs, YouTube channels, twitter feeds and facebook pages
> can post them in a reply?
>
> If we want to put the science back into the public discourse, we have to
> reach out directly to the public into through social media.  I work
> professionally in this field, and it's amazing how much publicity you can
> get with little time or effort.  I helped a friend set up a youtube channel
> for a fairly obscure health topic, and she got ~10,000 views a year for her
> ~20 videos - and they were just interview style videos done with no special
> equipment.  If anyone wants some help or advice with this kind of thing,
> just get in touch.
>
> I can't stress how important it is for us to reach out.  We can't rely on
> Fox News to do it, and the public doesn't read Nature.

> On 1 March 2012 19:34, Ken Caldeira <kcalde...@carnegie.stanford.edu>wrote:
>
>> Climate sensitivity and effectiveness of solar radiation management: Dr.
>> Katharine L. Ricke    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvUUup0mMU4
>>
>> Katharine L. Ricke, Dan Rowlands, William J. Ingram, David W. Keith and
>> M. Granger Morgan.(2011). Effectiveness of stratospheric solar radiation
>> management as a function of climate sensitivity. Nature Climate Change, 2:
>> 92-96.
>>

>> http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate1328.html
>>
>> (paper attached)
>> _______________
>> Ken Caldeira
>>
>> Carnegie Institution Dept of Global Ecology
>> 260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
>> +1 650 704 7212 kcalde...@carnegie.stanford.edu
>> http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira
>>
>> *YouTube:*
>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9LaYCbYCxo>Climate change and the
>> transition from coal to low-carbon
>> electricity<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9LaYCbYCxo>
>> Crop yields in a geoengineered
>> climate<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0LCXNoIu-c>
>>

>>  --
>>

>  --

*_*
*
*
ANDREW C. REVKIN
Dot Earth blogger, The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/dotearth
Senior Fellow, Pace Acad. for Applied Env. Studies
Cell: 914-441-5556 Fax: 914-989-8009
Twitter: @revkin Skype: Andrew.Revkin