Hello John Nissen and All,

John N says:-

       "Just before the hearing, the committee had received an email [6] from
some
geoengineering experts recommending research but suggesting that development
and deployment of geoengineering techniques was premature, thus undermining
the AMEG position".

I was one of the signatories that John alluded to. I believe that each one of
us feel
it shameful and dangerous that that  research into promising SRM ideas has not
been significantly financially supported. The major stages of the required
research
involve modelling, resolution of all technological questions, examination of -
and
international agreement on - possible adverse consequences of deployment, and
the execution of (in the case of MCB, for example), of a limited area
field-testing
experiment. If the required funding was available now I think I think all the
above
goals could be achieved in 5 years, perhaps even 3.

At the moment these goals are far from being achieved. An attempt to
successfully
deploy now any likely SRM  technique would be doomed to failure. The
technological
questions have not been fully resolved - so it would not work - and there would
be
- in my opinion - an international outcry against deployment.

We would be shooting ourselves in the foot, I think, if we tried to deploy now.
If
there was a major failure - which is likely - the response could be such as to
prohibit
further SRM work for a long time.We need to engage in crash programmes of
research
now, which means that we need immediately to obtain the required funding. [How,
dont know, I'm afraid].

All Best,      John (Latham)

John Latham
Address: P.O. Box 3000,MMM,NCAR,Boulder,CO 80307-3000
Email: lat...@ucar.edu  or john.latha...@manchester.ac.uk
Tel: (US-Work) 303-497-8182 or (US-Home) 303-444-2429
 or   (US-Cell)   303-882-0724  or (UK) 01928-730-002
http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/people/latham