Ken, List etal (especially Russell Seitz and Greg Benford)

I hope it might be helpful to say a little more about Elzabeth Kolbert's
background and thoughts in the areas covered by the recommended audio. She has
written much on climate for the New Yorker - andused that to produce a fine
2006 book on AGW - entitled "Field Notes from a Catastrophe". The last
citations are from 2005 - none at all related to geoengineering.

The audio cite given by Ken below contains considerable questioning of her on
geoengineering. I thought there were not very positive responses from her. Very
near the end of the audio she says (unlike Michael Specter) that she sees no
political or technical solution to AGW. If any of the numerous "Geo" list
members interviewed by Specter (or earlier by Kolbert) can encourage the New
Yorker editors to carry this topic further, I think that would be helpful. The
New Yorker is clearly more concerned than most media on climate topics.

I hope Kolbert will herself now also write on geoengineering, given her good
writing on climate from 6-7 years ago. Mr. Specter caught some of SRM, but I
think he missed the CDR part of Geoengineering totally. Here is one example at
about the 75%:point in his article, taking about the "rapid warming" problem -
which I think fails to capture the spirit and possibilities of CDR.

" There are only two ways to genuinely solve the problem: by drastically
reducing emissions or by removing the CO 2 from the atmosphere. Trees do that
every day. They “capture” carbon dioxide in their leaves, metabolize it in the
branch system, and store it in their roots . But to do so on a global scale
would require turning trillions of tons of greenhouse-gas emissions into a
substance that could be stored cheaply and easily underground or in ocean beds.

My suggested revision: There is only one way to genuinely solve the problem: by
both drastically reducing emissions and by removing the CO 2 from the
atmosphere. Trees do the second part every day. Through photosynthesis, they
“capture” carbon dioxide (and release oxygen) using sunlight and water. To do
so on a global scale would require annually turning billions of tons of carbon
dioxide into charcoal, raw biomass, or liquid CO2 that can be stored in soil ,
deep underground, or in ocean beds.

Later he talks of using captured CO2 to generate synthetic fuels - as though
that is CDR. No mention of the APS (Prof. Socolow) critique of DAC costs.

Ron