Andrew and List:

A few weeks ago, I received a hard copy of this "66" book in the mail, but with
sender unknown. I have been meaning to send this list some thoughts on the
book, so this is a good chance to thank the unknown sender. I recommend the
book - for reasons other than that it is free. I find the ability to
electronically search very beneficial (but I confess I mostly have been using
the hard copy).

Of the 66 topics ("chapters"), 26 are in the CDR category (60 or so small,
paperbook-size pages), after some 37 pages of intro), and 40 chapters (about 75
pages) in the SRM area. The last portion of the book (another 70 pages) covers
different energy use sectors and most RE/EE carbon neutral technologies. The
list of citations is good - in part because it is concise.

I found the book to be well written. The author, Risto Isomaki, is a
professional (Finnish) writer - who says he has been working on this topic for
more than 15 years. He is judgmental, with little written on the many concepts
he discards - but up to 10 pages on those approaches he recommends (such as #8
- growing trees). The Biochar section (#15) at 3 pages is a bit longer than the
2 pages on no-till in Section #14. Unusual for me was the length of material on
using ant hills and peat. Obviously, to get to a total of 26 CDR methods, some
sections are quite short - such as that for artificial trees (#9, 1/2 page (too
high cost)). For each of the 66 sections, the last portion (a few up to a dozen
lines) is a valuable concise short "Recommendation".

Better that I leave any description of the 40 SRM sections to another. One
surprise to me, coming from a background in renewable energy, was mention of (1
km) tall solar chimneys (#44) - both for direct cooling (reference given to
similarity to Hadley cells) and for use in establishing clouds, all while
generating, rather than using, "low-cost" renewable energy. I think, like
Biochar in the CDR area, this is the only SRM approach generating energy. I put
quotes on "low-cost" because following this idea up led me to proposers of the
inverse technology - of water-cooled falling air in a similar height chimney -
a possibly lower cost concept not mentioned by Mr. Isomaki.

I know of no similar introductory book that covers both sides of
Geoengineering. And it is free!

One last "side-note" - the "66" book sufficiently impressed me that I purchased
a different 2 Euro e-book from the same website with considerable mention of
biochar. One part (entitled Terra Preta) was authored by Mr. Isomaki. Mostly
the book is on the developing-country use of stoves to produce char, with a
commendable author-range of nationalities and perspectives.. That e-book title
is "At The Bottom of the Energy Ladder", edited by Peter Kuria Githinji

Andrew - thanks for letting me get this tardy "review" off my conscience.

Ron .