Hi all,

What about marine cloud brightening to try and save the Arctic sea ice,
which is starting to collapse in extent right at this moment?  The
repercussions of sea ice disappearance are well known and include the
threat of a methane excursion and Greenland Ice Sheet destabilisation [1].
More recently, the polar amplification, which will increase as the sea ice
disappears, has been shown to be implicated in polar jet stream disruption,
leading to climate extremes [2].  Events such as the current drought in US
mid-west are now being associated with jet stream behaviour.  Crops have
failed in many parts of the world.  Food prices are going up, and the World
Bank has issued a global hunger alert [3].  But this situation can only get
worse with the Arctic warming even faster.

What can be done to avert disaster?  It is obvious that we have to cool the
Arctic - but how?  For those who suggest we may even be too late for
geoengineering, do we have any other option?  Surely we should be trying to
get cloud brightening and other cooling technologies into operation as soon
as humanly possible.

This surely is a topic of extreme importance for discussion on this list.

John

[1] “Our greatest concern is that loss of Arctic sea ice creates a grave
threat of passing two other tipping points -- the potential instability of
the Greenland ice sheet and methane hydrates. These latter two tipping
points would have consequences that are practically irreversible on time
scales of relevance to humanity.” Hansen

[2]
http://e360.yale.edu/feature/linking_weird_weather_to_rapid_warming_of_the_arctic/2501/

[3]
http://www.theindependentbd.com/paper-edition/oped/129460-world-bank-issues-global-hunger-alert.html