From: "Andrew Lockley" <andrew.lock...@gmail.com>
To: "geoengineering" <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:23:17 AM
Subject: [geo] Bioenergy with Carbon Capture: Climate Saviour or Dangerous Hype

Bioenergy with Carbon Capture and Sequestration: Climate Saviour or Dangerous
Hype?

Download at: http://www.biofuelwatch.org.uk/2012/beccs_report

Bioenergy with Carbon Capture and Storage (BECCS) is being promoted as ‘carbon
negative’, i.e. as a way of removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and as
such is proposed for “climate geoengineering”. It is referred to by many, even
within IPCC, as having great potential, “essential” to achieving emissions
reduction targets.
Yet, on closer examination, BECCS is largely serving as a means of perpetuating
fossil fuel industries. Current projects largely use CO2 captured from
bioenergy facilities, mostly ethanol refineries, for “enhanced oil recovery” to
extend production from depleted oil wells. The favorable economics of this
practice make this form of BECCS an “early mover” to facilitate technology
development of CCS for application to fossil fuels, considered a lifeline to
the future for coal (so called “clean coal”).

IN addition to the huge negative impacts associated with all technologies that
require massive and ongoing supplies of plant biomass, storage of carbon
underground presents additional new, serious risks and the potential for a new
form of “underground” land grabbing as demand for storage sites increases. Some
communities have already resisted having their lands injected with CO2. Based
on the clearly false assumption that all bioenergy processes are “carbon
neutral” and that capture and storage will render them “carbon negative”, BECCS
is deeply rooted in false logic and dangerous misrepresentation.
This report examines the theory behind BECCS, the likely impacts should such a
technology be scaled up and the technical and economic barriers and provides a
summary of BECCS-related investments, subsidies and policies.

Rachel Smolker
Biofuelwatch/Energy Justice Network
rsmol...@riseup.net
skype: Rachel Smolker