Three quick points.

First, Andy (if I may), I was responding to the following remark you made in
your NYT blog after Richard Alley's comment on the Dahl-Jensen article:

"I do think [the new work] closes the case that Greenland, despite all of
its drama (moulins, for example) - drama that focused my attention for a few
years too - is a sideshow in the sea level question."

I'm having trouble squaring the above remark with the one immediately below
in this thread ("Don't get me wrong. I'm not endorsing that the probable
Greenland contribution to sea level doesn't matter to policy").

Second, you cite Pfeffer 2008, which argues kinematic constraints will keep
Greenland's contribution to SLR to less than 20 cm by 2100. But Pfeffer 2008
almost certainly isn't the last word on this matter. As Hansen notes, recent
data suggest Greenland ice sheet mass loss may be exponential, and he and
others have challenged the assumptions in Pfeffer 2008. So a flat
declaration that "Greenland is a sideshow" seems a tad premature.

Third, I'd like to challenge the notion that the "policy-relevant" time
scale operative in this case ends at 2100. The relevant horizon is actually
both farther away from us than 2100 or nearer to us, depending on our policy
interests. The horizon should probably be pushed further away if we're
focusing on climate or SLR impacts on our societies. Nearly half of the
children under 10 today will still be alive in 2100 (assuming current
incremental increases in longevity continue). Also, 2100 is easily within
the planning horizon of major infrastructural projects, including storm
sewers, sea walls, coastal roads and bridges, etc.

The relevant time horizon should be brought much closer to us, given the
inertia in climate and ice systems, if we are interested in taking
mitigative action to prevent severe climate and SLR impacts in the future.
Mike MacCracken has already made a similar point. Even if we project that
Greenland's melting won't raise sea level by a meter till (say) 2150, if our
emission commit us to that meter by 2050, then 2050 is the relevant policy
horizon for avoiding that meter through mitigation.

THD