Hi all,

I also think that Professor Calvin's analysis is superb, and we have to
find a way to draw down 30 Gt of carbon per year.  We might allow ten years
to ramp up to this level - with a view to achieving carbon neutrality by
the end of that period.  During the following years we should continue to
ramp up, extracting even more than 30 GtC per year, with the aim to reduce
CO2 to a safe level - if necessary 280 ppm within ten years.

This drawdown should, for justice sake, be funded out of revenues from
fossil fuel, preferable at the point of extraction - so that carbon out of
the ground pays for carbon to be put back in the ground.  However a carbon
offset scheme could start the ball rolling.

But at even higher priority we have to do the same type of analysis for the
Arctic, where it is necessary to apply the SRM type of geoengineering for
cooling the Arctic in order to reduce risk to an acceptable level.  I have
tried to do a risk analysis, and come to the conclusion that we would need
0.4 petawatts of cooling simply to counter the heating from albedo loss per
annum, at the 2012 rate.  This heating from albedo loss will increase to
double by 2015, and triple by 2020, if the exponential trend caused by
albedo positive feedback is followed.  Thus we need to get quickly up to a
level of cooling of around a petawatt, starting this summer with
stabilisation by next summer.

Thus we have two colossal challenges but on different timescales - the CO2
drawdown ramping up to about 30 GtC per year over the next 10 years, and
the Arctic cooling ramping up to about 1 PW over the next 12 months.

These are essentially technical/engineering challenges, but political
backing is required.  At present, politicians are not being presented with
the stark reality of the situation, which is, let's face it, a planetary
emergency.  Government advisers are too frightened to speak out.

Yet these challenges present nations with a unique opportunity for
collaboration in the interests simply of survival.  When the astronauts
aboard Apollo 13 sent a message "Houston, we have a problem", the whole
world was united in brainstorming for a solution to save them.  Cannot we
raise such a concentration of minds again, to save the whole human
population aboard this planet?

Cheers,

John